The Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture of Uva Wellassa University established a collaborative structure called ‘Uva Agriculture Forum’ with the participation of Academicians, and other State and Non-state sector stakeholders who actively involve in the developmental activities related to agriculture in Uva Province. The main aim of this forum is to share the knowledge, experience, and resources owned by each stakeholder among the above individuals so as to promote agriculture in the area. The event was held at Uva Wellassa University on March 03, 2015. Inaugural session was attended by nearly fifty participants representing different disciplines of agriculture, and thereafter a special discussion was held with the invited professionals to establish an Executive Committee, which will be the governing body of the forum in future. In the inauguration, Dr. Sepalika Jayamanne, Dean, Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture, welcomed the gathering and Dr. Saman Herath, the Co-ordinator of the Organizing Committee, presented the objectives to have such a Forum having considered the present need. Dr. Gamani Chandrasena, Vice Chancellor of Uva Wellassa University and Mr. Gunadasa Samarasinghe, Secretary to the Ministry of Uva Provincial Agriculture, Irrigation, Inland Fisheries Industries, Land and Tourism made special speeches in the forum. With the Vote of Thanks delivered by Dr. Sandun Abeyrathne, the inaugural ceremony was concluded.
During the Discussion Session, following officials were appointed as the Executive Officials for the forum. Also, eight different ‘Working Committees’ were proposed and formulated covering all aspects of agriculture, in particular, paying attention to Uva Agriculture. The working committees will work for the needs and issues identified and to be promoted so that a significant contribution could be made to the provincial economy in future, as a leading sector that shares ~27% of Gross Domestic Production (GDP) currently in the Uva Province.
Chairman – Dr. Gamani Chandrasena/Vice Chancellor, Uva Wellassa University
Secretary – Dr. Saman Herath/Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture, Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture, Uva Wellassa University
Treasurer – Dr. Kavindra Wijesundara/Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture, Uva Wellassa University
Vice Chairman – Mr. Gunadasa Samarasinghe/Secretary, Ministry of Uva Provincial Agriculture, Irrigation, Inland Fisheries Industries, Land and Tourism
Deputy Secretary – Mr. R.M. Nandasiri/Provincial Director, Agriculture, Uva Province
1. Dr. Sepalika Jayamanne/Dean, Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture, Uva Wellassa University
2. Dr. Mangali Alwis/Head, Department of Export Agriculture, Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture, Uva Wellassa University
3. Dr. Dinesh Jayasena/Head, Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture, Uva Wellassa University
4. Dr. Sandun Abeyrathne/Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture, Uva Wellassa University
5. Dr. Gamini Premathilake/Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Animal Science and Export Agriculture, Uva Wellassa University
6. Ms. J.M.D.D.E. Jayamanne/Assistant Director of Agriculture (Research), Regional Agriculture Research and Development Center, Bandarawela
7. A.B.M. Wijayathunga/Additional Provincial Director, Provincial Department of Agriculture, Uva Province
8. Mr. Rasika Silva/Assistant Commissioner of Agrarian Development, Department of Agrarian Development, Badulla
9. Dr. S.K. Weerasundara/Additional Provincial Director, Department of Animal Production and Health, Provincial Director’s Office, Badulla
10. Mr. H.R. Aruna Shantha/Regional Manager, Tea Small Holding Development Authority, Uva Regional Office, Bandarawela
11. Mr. A.L.R.U. Kumara/Officer-in-Charge, TRI Uva Extension Center, Pelgahathenne
12. Mr. Nilantha De Silva/Manager of Demodara Estate & Chairman of Badulla District’s Planters Association, Demodara (to be confirmed)
13. Mr. D.M.P.R. Dissanayake/Assistant Director, Rubber Development Department of Sri Lanka, Regional Office, Monaragala(to be confirmed)
14. Mr. M. Jayanama/Regional Manager, Coconut Cultivation Board, Monaragala
15. Ms. Y.N.K. Kulasekara/Assistant Director, Department of Export Agriculture, Badulla
16. Mr. K.M.W.R. Bandara/Assistant Director (Planning, Fisheries), Ministry of Uva Provincial Agriculture, Irrigation, Inland Fisheries Industries, Land and Tourism, Badulla
17. Mr. K.D. Sanjeewa/District Aquaculture Extension Office (Actg), Monaragala (to be confirmed)
18. Divisional Forest Officer (DFO), Badulla (to be confirmed)
19. Ms. K.H.P.P. De Silva/Regional Director of Irrigation Office, Irrigation Department, Bandarawela (to be confirmed)
20. Mr. K.D. Jayaweera/Provincial Land Commissioner, Badulla (to be confirmed)
21. Mr. Rohana K. Dissanayake/District Secretary, Badulla
22. Ms. G. Pathmakulasooriya/District Secretary, Monaragala
23. Mr. R.M.P. Rathnayake/Provincial Director of Education, Badulla (to be confirmed)
24. Mr. Surath Perera/Deputy General Manager – Agriculture, Lanka Sugar Company Ltd., Pelwatte, Buttala (to be confirmed)
25. Dr. A.P. Keerthipala/Director, Sugar Research Institute, Udawalawa (to be confirmed)
26. Assistant Director – Fertilizer, Badulla (to be confirmed)
27. Mr. Susantha Wedage/Deputy Director, Central Environmental Authority, Badulla
Working Committees Formulated
2. Export Agriculture
4. Other Plantation Crops
5. Livestock Production and Health
6. Fisheries and Aquaculture
7. Forest, Land and Environment
8. Agricultural Education
Given the need and importance of the forum, following six objectives were identified to work in future with the collaborative participation and contribution of all possible stakeholders. Importantly, in a future agenda, the forum is supposed to work for the critical issues identified in the agriculture sector of Uva Province.
1. To identify and link the stakeholders of agriculture sector of Uva province.
2. To strengthen the agriculture related activities of Uva province.
3. To identify the technology needs and disseminate knowledge among public.
4. To share knowledge, skills, experience, and resources among stakeholders.
5. To develop a database covering all aspects of agriculture and allied disciplines.
6. To initiate policy interventions and make proposals for developing the agriculture in Uva province.