Department of Engineering Technology
The Department of Engineering Technology conducts the Bachelor of Engineering Technology (BET) in Mechanical Engineering Degree Program, guided by the Institute of Engineers Sri Lanka (IESL) accreditation manual for full time four-year professional degree and based on the Sydney Accord.
The aim of the degree program is to produce well-rounded leaders capable of using scientific and technological approaches to develop Mechanical Engineering Technology in Sri Lanka, to expose them to the latest and advanced global technologies and cater to the global and regional demands in the sector.
In the Bachelor of Engineering Technology (BET) in Mechanical Engineering degree program;
• Undergraduates will cover 116 compulsory credits and 6 optional credits course modules in four levels over eight semesters. From those 6 optional credits course modules student must complete minimum of 4 credits to obtain the degree.
• The 100 and 200 level (1st year and 2nd year) course modules are gone for giving the students with vital learning in basic sciences, mathematics and engineering technology together with modules to develop essential skills such as information technology and communication skills.
• Modules offered in the 300 level and 400 level (3rd year and 4th year) of the degree program are aimed at providing on Mechanical Engineering Technology oriented knowledge including advanced theoretical and practical applications to the undergraduates.
• During the degree program undergraduates must complete six-month industrial training with group project in a relevant industry, where they are expected to get hands-on experience in the production processes and latest technologies in mechanical engineering.
Graduate profile of Bachelor of Engineering Technology in Mechanical Engineering: Bachelor of Engineering Technology in Mechanical Engineering degree program provides undergraduates with a strong understanding of the fundamental principles and practical application of mechanical engineering technology. Upon completion of the degree program our graduates will be able to:
- Identify problems, formulate and analyze engineering alternatives, and solve problems individually as well as in a team environment.
- Assume management, entrepreneurial, and leadership roles in the engineering technology industry.
- Communicate effectively in a professional engineering technology environment
- Pursue professional careers and engage in life-long learning.
- Graduate attributes
- The educational outcomes of the Department of Engineering Technology at Uva Wellassa University are to produce graduates with:
- An ability to select and apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, of the discipline to broadly-defined engineering technology activities.
- An ability to select and apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to solve engineering technology problems.
- An ability to design systems, components, or process for broadly-defined engineering technology problems appropriate to the educational objectives of the degree program.
- An ability to function effectively as a member or leader of a technical team.
- An ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature.
- An understanding of professional an ethical responsibilities and commitment to them.
- An expectation and need to undertake lifelong learning, and capacity to do so.